Updated April 1, 2022
Tamagawa Academy (K-12) & Tamagawa University ("Tamagawa") handles the personal information of a large number of persons associated with Tamagawa, including students, parents / guardians, faculty / staff, and others. Consequently, here at Tamagawa we formulated the Personal Information Protection Policy and enacted various rules, to enable better handling of personal information.
Personal Information Protection Policy
Enacted October 1, 2004
Revised April 1, 2017
Tamagawa Academy (K-12) & Tamagawa University
Chief Executive Officer Yoshiaki Obara
The Personal Information Protection law (Japan Law No.57, 2003) contains regulations with which all private entities must comply. As a private school, Tamagawa Academy (K-12) & Tamagawa University ("Tamagawa") must also comply with the Personal Information Protection Law and is obligated to manage personal information appropriately. For this reason, the following stipulations must be followed. Tamagawa handles the personal information of a large number of persons associated with Tamagawa, including students, parents/guardians, faculty/staff, and others. This is important personal information that is protected by law, and employees are responsible for safeguarding personal information. In order to guard against inappropriate use and leakage of personal information and ensure its proper use, we need to further raise the personal information awareness of faculty and staff. At Tamagawa, we will continue to abide by the provisions below as we take measures to protect personal information.
- Establish a system to manage and protect personal information and make ongoing improvements. Establish and implement “the Personal Information Protection System” in order to insure that faculty and staff are aware of the importance of personal information and properly use the personal information of students as well as parents/guardians, faculty/staff, alumni, etc. Also maintain this documentation and improve it on an ongoing basis.
- Properly carry out the acquisition, use, and providing of personal information. Establish a system for protecting personal information at Tamagawa, and in the acquisition, use, and providing of personal information, conform to Tamagawa rules and utilize the information within the scope of usage indicated at the time the information was acquired.
- Implement safety measures and work to protect personal information. In order to ensure personal information accuracy and safety, take safety measures (information security measures, etc.) and work to prevent and rectify personal information leaks, loss, and damage.
- Appropriately and swiftly respond to inquiries concerning the handling of personal information. Within a rational scope, appropriately and swiftly respond to inquiries (disclosure, correction, and deletion requests and complaints/consultations) concerning the personal information held by Tamagawa.
- Conform to laws, regulations, and standards. In the handling of personal information, conform to applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
As an institution, Tamagawa shall endeavor to maintain a high level of awareness of personal information protection by making faculty and staff aware of this Personal Information Protection Policy and also making it known to students.
About Personal Information Protection
- Usage purposes for personal information
- Measures for safety management
- Provision of personal information to third parties
- Retained personal data disclosure requests and procedures (including identification card issuance)
- Complaints and consultations
1. Usage purposes for personal information
At Tamagawa, personal information is used for the following purposes.
- Operations related to school administration, educational affairs, noncurricular guidance, etc. (K-12)
- Operations related to school administration, educational affairs, welfare, job search and career guidance, etc. (University)
- Operations related to course guidance, course fee payment notices, course attendance administration, etc.
- Operations related to academic performance notices, school tuition payment notices, parent association operation and related notices, etc.
- Operations related to certificates concerning graduation, academic performance, enrollment, etc.
- Operations related to school admission information, admission examinations, etc.
- Operations related to health administration, medical care, etc.
- Operations related to profit-earning operations, etc.
- Operations related to the sending of materials, event notices, payment requests (when fees are charged), etc.
- Operations related to personnel affairs, wages, labor, welfare, hiring, health, insurance, financial affairs, general affairs and organization administration, etc.
- Operations related to payment and invoicing management, etc.
- Management of video recorded by security cameras installed for crime prevention
2. Measures for safety management
Tamagawa implements the measures shown below to protect against personal information leaks, loss, and damage and to properly manage other personal data.
(Formulation of a basic policy)
- To ensure the proper handling of personal information and notify people of the contact points for questions and complaint processing, we have defined this basic policy.
(Definition of rules for the handling of personal data)
- For activities such as acquisition, usage, storage, provision, and deletion/disposal, define personal information protection rules covering acquisition methods, the persons responsible and in charge, the operation procedures, etc.
(Systematic measures for safety management)
- Assign a person to be responsible for the handling of personal information (personal information administrator).
- Clearly define the faculty and staff who handle personal information and the scope of the personal data that each person handles.
- Establish a contact system for notifying the personal information administrator when violations of laws or Tamagawa rules are discovered or suspected.
- Regularly implement self-inspections concerning the status of the handling of personal information.
(Personnel measures for the management of safety)
- Regularly educate faculty and staff concerning points to keep in mind in the handling of personal information.
- Issue work rules covering matters concerned with the confidentiality of personal information.
(Measures for the management of physical safety)
- For areas in which personal information is handled, manage the entry/exit of faculty and staff and limit the types of devices that can be brought in. Also implement measures to prevent personal information from being viewed by persons without the necessary authority.
- When people carry around devices and electronic media containing personal information, implement measures so that the personal information cannot be easily identified.
(Technical measures for management of safety)
- Implement access controls and limit the persons who can access personal information and the scope of the information they can access.
- For the information systems that utilize personal information, implement measures to protect them from malware and from improper access from outside Tamagawa.
(Understanding the external environment)
- When implementing measures for the management of safety, understand the system for protection of personal information in Canada.
(The system for personal information protection in Canada is shown on the Personal Information Protection Commission webpage so please view it there. https://www.ppc.go.jp/files/pdf/canada_report.pdf)
3. Provision of personal information to third parties
Except in cases where it is permitted by laws and regulations, Tamagawa does not provide personal information to third parties without obtaining the agreement of the subject person.
There are cases where Tamagawa outsources to a third party operations for sending documents to students, operations for requests for materials to be sent, database building operations, etc. In such cases, Tamagawa performs the necessary and proper supervision of the third party in accordance with laws and regulations such as the Act on the Protection of Personal Information.
5. Requests and procedure for disclosure of retained personal data (including certificate)
When a request for disclosure of retained personal data is received from the subject individual or that individual’s representative, a response will be promptly made, except in cases covered by the numbered items below. In cases where disclosure will not be done or when the subject retained personal data does not exist, that fact will be indicated in the response. An issuance fee is collected for disclosure via documentation certifying graduation, enrollment, grades, etc. Also, for disclosure requests from individuals underage, requests from guardians may be necessary depending on the content of the request. As a rule, communication or disclosure requests via telephone or fax are not an option.
- When there is a danger of harm to the life, person, property, or other rights or interests of the subject individual or a third party.
- When there is a danger that it could seriously impede the proper performance of the operations of Tamagawa.
- When it would violate a law or regulation.
6. Complaints and consultations
For complaints and consultations concerning the handling of personal information at Tamagawa, please inquire at the contact point below.
Personal information protection contact point
Tamagawa Academy (K-12) & Tamagawa University, Office of General Affairs (Headquarters, 4F)
Tel:042-739-8953 / Fax:042-739-8795 / e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Personal information acquired in conjunction with complaints and consultation applications will not be used for purposes other than the handling of the given application.
Handling of Personal Information on the Tamagawa websites
Updated April 1, 2022
- Application scope
- Acquisition of personal information
- Use and providing of personal information
- Security Procedure
- Access logs
- Personal information protection contact point（Tamagawa Academy (K-12) & Tamagawa University, Office of General Affairs）
1. Application scope
Documents concerning the handling of personal information on Tamagawa websites apply to the Tamagawa websites at the URLs below.
2. Acquisition of personal information
When personal information is acquired on a Tamagawa website, the usage purpose should be clearly stated on the given page. The acquired personal information must never be used for a purpose other than the purpose stated on the given page.
There are cases where the subject operations are consigned outside our organization. At such times, a contractor recognized as appropriately handling personal information is to be selected, and a confidentiality agreement is to be concluded.
3. Use and providing of personal information
The use and providing of personal information acquired on Tamagawa websites shall be done within the scope of the usage purpose. There may be cases where the information is provided based on laws/regulations or after advance consent is obtained from the subject persons.
4. Security Procedure
When personal information is acquired on a Tamagawa website, perform encryption using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and work to ensure security. Take security measures with respect to personal information leakage, loss, and damage.
5. Access logs
On the Tamagawa websites, information concerning devices accessing the website is recorded as a log. The recorded information includes the IP address and access date/time of the person who accessed the site, but it does not contain information that can identify an individual. Access logs are used for Tamagawa website management and usage status analysis.
There are cases where cookies are used on Tamagawa websites.
Tamagawa websites include links to external sites, but such links do not share personal information. Tamagawa bears no responsibility for any personal information acquisition occurring on the linked websites, so please be sure to check the personal information handling of the linked websites.
8. Personal information protection contact point
Tamagawa Academy (K-12) & Tamagawa University, Office of General Affairs (Headquarters building, 4F)
Tel:042-739-8953 / Fax:042-739-8795 / e-mail:email@example.com